document.write(unescape("%3Cstyle%20type

Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy May Day

This morning I was reading another friends blog on my quilting thingy and she triggered a memory that I wanted to share today.
Last night I was watching the evening news and the anchor told the weather man to bring her flowers today for May Day, I thought Why??
This is why -- When I was in grade school there was this playground toy called the witches hat. It was a very tall metal pole and on it was upside down basket. We always hung on the rim of the basket and run around until it was going so fast that sometimes I feared I would be flung off horizontally to come scraping down on all fours. I never did though. Sometimes my hands would get so sweaty hanging on. I am sure it no longer exists because it would now be a safety issue!
Every year some miracle worker would remove the basket and replace it with long, long ribbons. Back in those days (tehe) the girls wore dresses to school. We always wore our best dresses on May Day because we knew that we would get to dance around the "May Pole". We loved to take a ribbon and dance around the pole watching the ribbons slowly wrap around and then carefully we would turn the other direction and unwind the ribbons (always with music playing).
So Happy May Day. May Day tradition is to secretly deliver a basket of flowers on your neighbors doorknob and run so you don't get kissed!!

2 comments:

  1. Girls with sweaty hands wanting flowers and wearing dresses? sounds like a feminists nightmare...
    that is what i miss about the past!

    ReplyDelete