document.write(unescape("%3Cstyle%20type
Saturday, May 15, 2010
Birds
The warmer weather the last few days has brought the Goldfinches and Red-throated Finches back to the house. I wish my camera would do justice to the action going on around the feeders. Last Monday we put out one feeder and a few birds came. Thursday I added a second feeder to the apple tree. The same tree we hung them in last year and the year before. This morning it's like a bird fight out there for the eight perches. For some reason they don't share very well. It's like there is some bird etiquette in waiting until one of the birds leaves. Normally two feed when there could be four going at the same feeder. Then one of them will get impatient and try to get someone to leave the perch...and everyone in the tree gets in on the fluttering and twittering...it's a bird fight!! So I filled a third feeder, luckily I had another, and hung it in the apricot tree. As I was hanging it the apple tree got quiet. After it was hung I walked about twenty feet away, curious to see how long it would take for them to discover more food. It took five seconds - literally. I no sooner had walked the distance away, turned back to face the tree and one bird flew into the apricot tree, cocked his head a few times and twittered some little familiar sound I've heard before. And two other goldfinches flew into the tree with him, yes a him, they are brighter yellow. And boom! They swooped onto the feeder perch. The other tree still had four goldfinches in it and about three regular finches. The four took off altogether the same direction out of the yard just a singing. I think they went to spread the word!! Now if I have to come up with a fourth feeder yes I have one more simple feeder, the first feeder we hung out about three years ago.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment